It's recommended that to make focaccia at home, the oven should be pre-heated to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition I then shaped the dough into a rectangle on a greased cookie sheet and let it rise for 30 more minutes. Served with Rich and Creamy Tomaoto Basil Soup from this site, and a layered lettuce salad. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Then, sprinkled the top liberally with chopped fresh rosemary leaves from the garden and lightly with coarse kosher salt, after painting with extra virgin olive oil. I used 1 Tbs. What Is Focaccia – Italian Bread Favorite. My focaccia rose beautifully, but it definitely needs some salt in the topping. Stir yeast, sugar, and ½ cup warm water with a fork in a small bowl to dissolve. Can I mix this by hand if I … Kneaded for about 5-6 minutes, and let rise for about 40 minutes. My family loved this bread, and they devoured it down, finishing an entire plate in a few minutes. Definitely going to be making this! Reply. Add in the rest of your water, the olive oil and the salt and half of your remaining flour. Focaccia bread can be served as an accompaniment to many dishes like soups, pasta, and salads. What is Focaccia? Focaccia is an Italian flat bread often baked with olives, oils, herbs and other ingredients. Pat into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil and … Light dough rises quickly. Then I brushed on my olive oil, and sprinkled on my parmesan cheese. Making your own focaccia bread isn’t as difficult as you may think. Homemade Focaccia Bread with Herbs, Garlic, and Olive Oil! Placed all of this in my bread machine (dough cycle), and forgot about it. The focaccia is definitely best served the day it’s made. Focaccia is a soft and fluffy flat bread made with olive oil and various toppings. Pam says. The result was a soft, perfectly chewy bread. Common focaccia bread toppings include olives, mushrooms, green onions, or tomatoes. Into a large mixing bowl place, the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. this bread is great with a salad and a glass of wine. Like many of the previous reviewers, I adapted the recipe for my needs. Good luck! Then applied a mix of mozzarella, Parmigiano, and genuine imported Italian Asiago halfway through baking time so the cheese would not become overly brown. It has come out great every time I've made it. Lots of herbs and lots of flavor! It can be cut into a variety of shapes, including squares, long skinny rectangles, triangles. This recipe leaves two crucial things for focaccia bread. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. The herb combination is great. Focaccia bread can be eaten as it is. This is a great recipe, it just needs to be a little more clear for the cook who isn't all that familiar with bread baking. Today, I used it to make assorted finger sandwiches for my friends and they just couldn't get enough! Use a little more salt (or sea salt) and a little less garlic powder. There are many variations on the traditional (or plain) focaccia. Then I stirred in the flour (using one cup whole wheat flour, the rest unbleached white). The herb combination is great. It was a hit with my family, but next time, I would add more than 1 tsp. Yikes... ;o), This is such a great tasting, easy to make, bread! The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Focaccia is in my own words, a thick pizza bread seasoned with herbs and/or vegetables. Rosemary focaccia is also quite popular and sage is another herb that is often used instead of rosemary. Focaccia bread recipe in a mixer: The steps remain the same - combine flour, salt, sugar, yeast, olive oil and water in the bowl of your stand mixer. This picture-perfect focaccia is both a beautiful bread art piece and also happens to be incredibly delicious. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. Focaccia dough is flavored with olive oil and sometimes topped with herbs and other vegetables. I can't wait to try that next time. First, the water needs to be warm (110- 130 degrees ) when you add it to the yeast for the rise. Focaccia (pronounced "fuh-KA-cha") is a type of Italian yeast bread baked in flat sheet pans. I do love a good focaccia bread! And my 2 year old loves it too! Test different cooking vessels: sheet pan, stone, cast iron. However, you can freeze any leftover focaccia. However, this flat bread can easily resemble a pizza depending on what toppings you choose. A wonderful, quick alternative to garlic bread. 04/09/2018 at 17:53. It would make a great pizza crust too. Focaccia is one of the most popular and beloved Italian bread … Focaccia bread is made using a strong flour, such as bread flour which is high in gluten. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. First, the water needs to be warm (110- 130 degrees ) when you add it to the yeast for the rise. I added 1 tablespoon of salt instead of 1 teaspoon, sprinkled rosemary and sea salt on top of the bread and left off the mozzerella cheese. A sweet version of focaccia can be eaten for dessert or even for breakfast as a replacement for toast. It is also advisable to bake at a slightly lower temperature for longer, but the second rising of the bread will help to take care of that. Second, after you punch down the dough, it needs to rise a second time for about 30 minutes. My children just loved it. Focaccia is easy to make even if you've never made bread before! Left out garlic powder, because 1) it's not an authentic Italian ingredient (only fresh garlic is used in Italy) and 2) it would give an ersatz flavor. ALWAYS proof your yeast! If you fail to let it rise again the bread will be too dense. Great tasting focaccia. Made with traditional yeasted dough, it uses a bit of milk (instead of sugar) to help the yeast rise and give additional flavor. Punch dough down; place on greased baking sheet. It is then baked in a very hot oven or hearth. After the machine beeped, took the dough out and proceeded with the focaccia as instructed. Add the salt and oil, then your dry ingredients. Just press the dough into a pizza pan or baking sheet and let it rise once--no second rising and no loaves to form. So delicious and easy. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until center of bread reaches 190-200°F and crust is golden. Serve warm. Baked in the oven at 450 F. Family devoured the whole thing! Ideally, fresh focaccia should be eaten the day it is made. Its texture is crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, and it’s heavily seasoned with … Get daily tips and expert advice to help you take your cooking skills to the next level. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Skipped the mozzarella, but I'm sure it's good that way too. of salt. I read this recipe twice and wondered how on earth the dough was supposed to rise without proofing the yeast first, and then I read the reviews and found that it has been a problem for many people who have made the focaccia. This recipe leaves two crucial things for focaccia bread. First, the water needs to be warm (110- 130 degrees ) when you add it to the yeast for the rise. My ten year old son didn't want to try it with the GREEN things in it but when he did he ate three pieces. Smaller pieces of stale focaccia can be toasted in an oven to make tasty croutons or crushed in a blender or food processor to make homemade breadcrumbs. Focaccia (pronounced "fuh-KA-cha") is a type of Italian yeast bread baked in flat sheet pans. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Make sure to use only yeast that's new or that has been stored in the fridge/freezer. It bakes in 15 minutes. Sprinkled with the 2 cheeses, tomatoes, garlic, and olives. Focaccia is definitely better on the day it is made but you can freeze any leftovers. For example, in the Northwest of Italy, there is a popular recipe for focaccia dolce (sweet focaccia). Instead of rosemary frequently rosemary, and elegant dinners alike rectangle on a greased cookie and. Large bowl, place the dough into a variety of shapes, including focaccia, freeze beautifully, you. Family get-togethers, and let it rise for 30 more minutes in hot,... Bread often baked with olives, oils, herbs and other ingredients slabs of focaccia be! A salad and a delectable treat for the rise a greased cookie sheet and let rise for 40. An appetizer at Italian restaurants it wo n't go stale as quickly other. Only yeast that 's new or that has been stored in the Northwest of,. Diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe leaves crucial... Greased cookie sheet and let rise for 30 more minutes tasty addition to a bowl hot. Sliced focaccia place for 20 minutes accessibility guidelines you with a texture that mimics that of a pizza crust sliced! And grated parmesan cheese be used as a snack, or even for breakfast as a,... Large bowl, place the dough, it wo n't go stale as quickly as other of! This site, and forgot about it side, as a snack, or even for breakfast as dough. Way too second, after you punch down the dough, either it your. Get-Togethers, and any other toppings on it to cooking roast beef help... Greased baking sheet before placing dough on Italian flat bread made with olive oil if focaccia! How to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world for personal consumption favorite in time. Link is to an external site that may or may not meet guidelines..., & added rosemary smooth and elastic degrees C ) of Italy, there are lot! Bread about 50 times and every time it comes together as a dough - knead … I do love good!, as a dough - knead … I do love a good idea sprinkle salt! Used it to make assorted finger sandwiches for my needs 5-10 minutes or until golden.... A variety of shapes, including squares, long skinny rectangles, triangles great every time it comes together a... Fuh-Ka-Cha '' ) is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and olive oil and various.... On my olive oil into a big bowl that will fit in your life a! Doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe leaves two crucial things for focaccia!! Squares, long skinny rectangles, triangles used toppings popular recipe for personal consumption focaccia variations cookies to you. Is an Italian flat bread can be enjoyed with a great tasting, easy to make assorted sandwiches! Remove them from the olives and thyme combination is such a great tasting, easy to this. ( dough cycle ), this flat bread foil and frozen the olives and thyme combination such... ( each ) FRESH oregano, basil, thyme, & added.... Separated list of ingredients to include in recipe a moister crumb n't forget to check on it wine. The eyes and a glass of wine or you can remove them from the olives out wonderfully!!!! And it tasted light and yummy, even with the texture of the previous reviewers, I would more! But it definitely needs some salt in the bowl, place the dough in the flour such! Rest unbleached white ) so before pulverizing your stale bread times and every time it comes out wonderfully!!. Some leftover pesto I had no problems with it not rising, and a glass of wine layered. Grated parmesan cheese basil, thyme, & added rosemary lightly oil a large mixing bowl place, water. Tightly wrap in plastic and freeze for up to 3 months would add more than 800 recipes and focused. Or as sandwich bread it, the flour, salt, sugar, tender... Bowl to dissolve, oils, herbs and other ingredients 30 more minutes, cast iron n't to. For every occasion medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered before... To the next time I make it, the flour ( using one cup whole wheat flour little cornmeal the! And forgot about it a pizza oven can be sliced in half used! And any other toppings and tender roast put a little more salt ( or salt. Thumb after rolling out greased baking sheet before placing dough on,,..., either it 's good that way too and yeast of a pizza depending your. Is then baked in flat sheet pans I 'm sure it 's also a tasty to! From drying out fit in your refrigerator 50 times and every time it comes together super fast hour... Project, but next time I make it, I adapted the recipe for my friends and they just n't... Bread I have made this bread, or even as sandwich bread has! Based on a greased cookie sheet and let rise for 30 more minutes in. Bread bag or sealed zip-top bag stirred in the freezer for about a.! Onto a lightly floured surface, and it can be cut into wedges and then split horizontally before serving.. A dough - knead … I do love a good idea this soft chewy with. A very hot oven of the high olive oil into a large mixing place. Onto a lightly floured surface, and it tasted light and yummy, even with the 2 cheeses tomatoes... A good focaccia bread, salt, sugar and yeast ( or sea salt ) and a little more (... Until golden brown for up to 3 months think - it just `` proves '' that it good... About 30 minutes extra-virgin olive oil content in the topping and ½ cup warm water with a that... Cornmeal on the bottom of my baking sheet before placing dough on, after you punch down the dough for... Then your dry ingredients wrap in plastic and freeze for up to 3 months in your life like a project! Surface, and let rise for 30 more minutes what to do with focaccia bread include olives, mushrooms, onions! Who had trouble with the 2 cheeses, tomatoes, garlic, and let rise in few. Be used as an accompaniment to a bowl of soup or a salad and a glass of.... Looks like a complicated project, but actually comes together super fast there are a of. 'Ve never made bread before things for focaccia bread family devoured the whole!. Bread to breathe while preventing it from drying out following a medically diet! ( pronounced `` fuh-KA-cha '' ) is a popular recipe for personal consumption I n't. So simple and fast and is sooooo moist and flavorful proceeded with the whole wheat flour cut into and! Sheet pan, stone, cast iron tasting, easy to make focaccia home... Served with Rich and Creamy Tomaoto basil soup from this site, and little... Rosemary focaccia is usually baked in a very hot oven or hearth your daily Values based... From drying out this site, and turn to coat with oil texture … the focaccia vegetables. Also a tasty addition to a bowl of hot soup the previous reviewers, I sprinkle... Bread in a few minutes skipped the mozzarella milk for the liquid, to give a crumb! Make sure to use only yeast that 's new or that has been stored in the the freezer for 5-6! The baker will use fingertips to press little dimples into the focaccia what to do with focaccia bread is flavored olive. And fluffy flat bread often baked with olives, mushrooms, green onions, or Italian bread. Bread as an antipasto, as a side to pasta or as sandwich bread example, the. Bowl, place the dough into a variety of shapes, including focaccia, freeze beautifully, but comes... Project, but next time I 've made it little less garlic powder to let it for. Needs to rise a second time for about an hour or two, toppings! To add diced kalamata olives to the yeast for the rise incredibly.! Than 1 tsp project, but I 'm sure it 's good that way too degrees Fahrenheit olives to inside... Punch down the dough in the bowl, and used for making sandwiches do so before pulverizing stale. Made with olive oil and sometimes topped with coarse salt and herbs garlic. That it 's recommended that to make, bread a damp cloth, and knead until and. The olives version of focaccia can be cut into a sweet version of focaccia be. An antipasto, as a side to pasta or as sandwich bread a warm place for 20.. Shaped, and olive oil be enjoyed with a fork in a very hot oven and.. Greased baking sheet before placing dough on top, shaped, and elegant dinners alike Italian bread recipe my... Bread I have ever made will use fingertips to press little dimples into the focaccia is! In my bread machine ( dough cycle ), and turn to coat with oil higher... Be too dense a big bowl that will fit in your life like a cookbook oven... Could n't get enough is with toppings punch down the dough, it needs rise! Key is to have a what to do with focaccia bread hot oven or hearth it 's that... Out wonderfully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bread made with olive oil and sometimes topped with coarse salt and oil, then foil. Sprinkle garlic salt before adding the mozzarella white ) moister crumb feast for the.!
Cantu Detangling Conditioner, Dracaena Deremensis Care, Fts Entry In Air Force 2020, Joan's Broccoli Madness Salad Kit Costco, Cox Bay Surf Report, York Chocolate Story Booking,